1800 16 11 09
Want some help?
Does this page need updating?
What to expect when accessing records about you.
Other Find & Connect resources
Glossary Term Commissioner for Native Affairs (1936 - 1954)
- Glossary Term and Stolen Generations
- Alternative Names
- Commissioner for Native Welfare (1954 - 1972)
Please note that this page reproduces the original language used in the historical sources drawn upon to compile this entry. This language includes offensive and derogatory terms which are today considered unacceptable. We apologise for any offence caused by such language.
In 1936, the Chief Protector of Aborigines became known as the 'Commissioner for Native Affairs'. This title changed in 1954 to 'Commissioner for Native Welfare'.
- 1936 - March 1940
- AO Neville was Commissioner for Native Affairs
- March 1940 - October 1940
- Francis Bray was Acting Commissioner for Native Affairs
- 21 October 1940 - 1948
- Francis Bray was Commissioner for Native Affairs
- 1948 - 1954
- Stanley Middleton was Commissioner for Native Affairs
- 1954 - 1962
- Stanley Middleton was Commissioner for Native Welfare
- 1962 - 1972
- Frank Gare was Commissioner for Native Welfare
1832 - 1838 Superintendent of Natives
1839 - 1849 Protector of Aborigines (statutory role)
1849 - 1857 Guardian of Aborigines
1857 - 1887 Guardian of Aborigines and Protector of Settlers
1887 - 1890 Aborigines Protection Board
1890 - 1897 Aborigines Protection Board
1897 - 1901 Chief Protector of Aborigines (1)
1901 - 1936 Chief Protector of Aborigines (2)
1936 - 1954 Commissioner for Native Affairs
1954 - 1972 Commissioner for Native Welfare
- van den Berg, Rosemary, 'Aboriginal protectors', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, pp. Pages 36-37. Details
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 'Western Australia Protectors Reports', National Library of Australia, 1899-1959, http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/remove/wa/protrepo.html. Details
- Foster, Darren J, 'Submission No. 347 Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care: Submissions', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, 3 April 2004, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate_Committees?url=clac_ctte/completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.htm. Details
Sources used to compile this entry: van den Berg, Rosemary, 'Aboriginal protectors', in Gregory, Jenny and Jan Gothard [editors] (eds), Historical Encyclopedia of Western Australia, University of Western Australia Press, Crawley, W.A., 2009, pp. Pages 36-37.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 23 January 2012, Last modified: 23 February 2012