The Canowindra Girls' Home (also known as 'Lyndon House') was officially opened on 7 October 1942 by Lieutenant Commissioner E.J. Harewood of the Salvation Army. The first girls were, however, admitted in March 1942, having been transferred in three groups from Sydney on 25, 26 and 27 March. Thirty girls were transferred from The Nest Girls' Home at Arncliffe and 44 from The Fold at Marrickville. In addition, two young boys and a girl were transferred from Bethesda Hospital. Prior to its purchase by the Salvation Army, the property had been a private home belonging to the Purcell family. The Salvation Army closed both The Fold and The Nest in 1942 in response to the wartime situation, and transferred the girls to Canowindra. The home closed on 13 January 1977.
Lyndon House was mentioned in a 1979 Commonwealth Government report called Why are they in children's homes: report of the ACOSS children's home intake survey.
14 July 2016
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00221
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License