South Sydney Women's Hospital began as the Home of Hope for Friendless and Fallen women. The Home of Hope was established by George Edward Ardill in the 1890, in Newtown (Camperdown) as a rescue home and lying-in facility for unmarried pregnant women. When Ardill incorporated the Sydney Rescue Work Society in 1890 the home became a flagship of the new organisation.
Ardill's wife Louisa was the matron of the lying-in home and was a pioneer of midwifery. The Home was renamed South Sydney Women's Hospital in 1905. It became one of the most important midwife-training hospitals in Sydney, and provided outreach services to women in the working class suburbs of Newtown, Glebe, Petersham and Forest Lodge. It was also a place where adoptions were arranged.
South Sydney Women's Hospital closed in 1976 and the building was demolished.
09 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00451
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License