Castle Hill House was an estate house of 200 acres, originally granted to William McLaughlin, Esq. in the early 19th century. It was bought by the Child Welfare Department in 1943 and used as a home for school- aged boys until 1982.
The 1959 Annual Report of the Child Welfare Department described routines
at the Castle Hill House:
'The boys travel back and forth to Carlingford school by bus each day unaccompanied by staff. Most of them belong to scouts and boys' groups in the neighbourhood ... Each boy is given pocket money of his own which he is allowed to spend as he wishes.'
In 1993, the site was bought by Redeemer Baptist School and in 2017 Castle Hill House is part of its Castle Hill Campus.
04 June 2020
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00474
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License