Hillside Home for Mothers and Babies was opened in October 1913. It was one of a number of homes established by the Board under the Infant Protection Act 1904. It was intended to keep unmarried mothers together with their babies until the child was weaned, as the State Children's Relief Board was concerned about the very high rate of death amongst 'illegitimate' babies who were placed in babies' homes because their mothers had to support themselves.
The idea behind Hillside was to support mothers to breastfeed for an extended period. Once the baby was weaned the mother could try to find employment that allowed her to keep the child or the baby could be placed in the boarding out system (foster care).
08 August 2017
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01160
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License