Stead House occupied the historic house Hopeleigh, which had served as nurses' quarters and a laundry for Bethesda Maternity Hospital since 1956. It was named after the founding matron of Bethesda Maternity Hospital, Lieutenant Colonel Doris Stead.
Stead House remained a hostel for women students and low income earners until the mid-2000s, when economic and fire regulation compliance issues became insurmountable. The Salvation Army sold the entire site in 2007 and between 2010-2012 the Bethesda Maternity Hospital building and Stead House were converted to apartments.
We do not currently have any records linked to this organisation, but records may exist. The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
You can also find out more by visiting Other important records.
01 March 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01351
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License