The Deaconesses renamed Lisgar as Pallister Girls Home in 1935. This was a home for girls who were described as 'difficult', most of who were referred by the Children's Courts. It operated from 1936 to 1946 at Strathfield and then in Standish/Pallister House, in the grounds of Greenwich Hospital, until 1976. From 1977 to 1982 the Deaconesses converted the Pallister House building to Pallister Young People's Unit and Special School.
Win Evans recalls that Agincourt was renamed Pallister after a former Deaconess in charge of Deaconess Children's Homes. In 2011 the Agincourt site was used by the Jesmond Nursing Home.
Pallister Girls' Home closed its Strathfield home in 1945 and moved to Standish House in the grounds of Greenwich Hospital, where it became Pallister House, also known as Lisgar Trust.
According to historian Peter Quinn, Pallister House was one of the few non-government organisations to be funded by the Child Welfare Department to provide juvenile justice services.
In the 1980s the Church of England Deaconess Institution changed its name to Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd. This organisation holds annual reports of Pallister, and some group photographs of children who lived in the homes.
21 March 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01397
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License