Turner Cottage Special School for Truants was located on the same site as Mittagong Farm Home for Boys. In 1936, a vacant cottage at Mittagong was being prepared to house boys convicted of truancy in the Children's Court.
Turner Cottage accommodated a maximum of 25 boys.
The teacher in charge, Arthur Beasley, lived at Turner Cottage, and according to Boyle, Beasley 'had his own room and free board in return for four nights of supervision and construction/activity for the 18 boys then in residence'. There was also a married couple who ran Turner Cottage.
When Anglewood (another special school for truants, located at Burradoo near Bowral) opened, boys from Turner Cottage were transferred there. The final transfer took place in May 1946.
Following the final transfer of boys to Anglewood, Turner Cottage was used by the Department to accommodate male state wards.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
27 September 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01726
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License