In June 1893 the Sisters of the Sacred Advent opened the Home of the Good Shepherd at Nundah. The Sisters purchased and closed Eton Boys School, then reopened as a home to accommodate homeless girls. The home was located on land bounded by Bishop Street, Buckland Road, Wand Street and Olive Street.
In 1897 the Sisters purchased a second house for the Home of the Good Shepherd. This house was located near where the Rectory is on the present Tufnell site. In 1901 the widow of Reverend Edward Tufnell donated one thousand pounds for the Sisters to purchase a house to expand the Home of the Good Shepherd. The house purchased was on top of Gardener's Hill. The children moved to the new home which was renamed Tufnell Home on 6 February 1901. This is the present site of Tufnell, home to Anglicare.
The 2001 publication Missing Pieces (page 52) reported the existence of an Admissions Book for the "Home of the Good Shepherd and Tufnell Home" for the period 1893 to 1933 ).
In 2014, Anglican Archives advised the Find & Connect web resource that this information about the Admissions Book was not correct.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
27 March 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00086
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License