The Brisbane Hospital Committee had maintained a convalescent home for patients in a rented home in Sandgate from 1885. It acquired its own property in late 1901 and the first transfer of patients to the Broadhurst Convalescent Home occurred in December of that year.
According to the entry in the Heritage Register for 138 Flinders Parade, Sandgate:
'In the Annual Report of the Brisbane Hospital for 1910, the home was described as a valuable outwork of the Hospital...providing rest, nourishment and comfort during the days of convalescence of many of the patients.'
After the convalescent home closed in 1942, the property was transferred in 1943 to the Crown for maternal and child welfare purposes. The Sandgate Maternal and Child Welfare Home was established on the site in March 1944.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
24 April 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE01048
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License