With the introduction of the 1866-67 Destitute Persons Relief Act, the majority of children were moved out of the Destitute Asylum into institutions specifically for children. Once the Magill Industrial School opened in 1869 a sections of the building was set aside as a reformatory for Boys who had been charged with an offence or were considered to have behavioural problems. The Boys Reformatory, Magill was run by the Destitute Board. In 1880 the boys were moved from Magill to a decommissioned three-masted ship, the Reformatory Hulk, Fitzjames, moored in shallow water at Largs Bay.
The Hulk was to operate for 11 years before the boys returned to Magill.
We do not currently have any records linked to this organisation, but records may exist. The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
You can also find out more by visiting Other important records.
15 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/sa/SE01217
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License