The Female Factory opened in Lowes Distillery, which had been converted for that purpose.
Many of the convict women were at the Factory for being single and pregnant, in part because they could not work but also to punish their sexual behaviour. Once their babies were weaned, the women were sent to the crime class for six months. Early weaning, overcrowding, and poor hygiene led to a high infant mortality rate.
The Factory closed in 1853 following the end of transportation to Tasmania. After that the government re-used the buildings in a number of ways. These included a Boys' Reformatory, the Contagious Diseases Hospital, a Lying-in Hospital, the Home of Mercy, and a children's refuge.
In 2010, the Female Factory became a World Heritage site.
We do not currently have any records linked to this entry. If you know of any additional records, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
25 May 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/tas/TE00328
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License