St Anthony's Children's Home in Kew was established by the Sisters of St Joseph in around 1921, to assist with overcrowding at St Joseph's Foundling Hospital in Broadmeadows.
The home provided care for boys from kindergarten age to early primary school age. At certain times, girls were also admitted. At the age of eight, children who had not been adopted or returned to their families were sent on to one of the Catholic orphanages. In the late 1920s, St Anthony's also accommodated pregnant women from St Joseph's Foundling Hospital.
Barnard and Twigg write that the site chosen by Archbishop Mannix in Kew was not ideal. Mannix perhaps hoped that St Anthony's location in Kew, which was also the site of Melbourne's key Catholic schools, would attract more public support for the institution.
By 1942 St Anthony's was caring for 140 children, 57 of whom were Wards of the State. Its name changed in 1943 to St Anthony's Home. The Sisters subsequently closed St Anthony's Home in 1976 and relocated to the suburb of Footscray.
In 1997, records of the Sisters of St Joseph were transferred to MacKillop Family Services. These included records of the various orphanages, homes and other residences run by the Sisters of St Joseph.
While custodianship of the records about people in 'care' became the responsibility of MacKillop Family Services at this point, it was formally agreed that the intellectual property in these records would not change hands.
11 February 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000048
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License