Ramoth Toddlers' Home in Ferntree Gully opened in October 1927. It was run by the Mission of St James and St John.
Previously, it had been used by the Mission as a Home for women with venereal diseases.
Many of the children at the Toddlers' Home had previously been at the Kedesh Maternity Home. Some of these children went on to the Mission's Homes in Glenroy at the age of five. In 1931, Archdeacon Lamble spoke of the children at Ramoth who had come from, or were destined to go to, other Mission institutions: '...the horizons of these children had changed from one of despair to that full of possibility for which they were being equipped in the best manner possible in spirit, soul and body in the Homes of the Mission'.
Prior to the establishment of Ramoth in 1927, toddlers were sent to the Andrew Kerr Memorial Home in Mornington.
The Mission concluded that the facilities at Ramoth in Ferntree Gully were inadequate for the care of the toddlers, and in 1932, the Ramoth Toddlers' Home closed and resident children were transferred to St Luke's Toddlers' Home in Bendigo.
In 1997 the Mission of St James and St John became part of Anglicare Victoria. At this time, records of the Mission were transferred to Anglicare Victoria. These included records of the various orphanages, homes and other residences run by the Mission. The custodian of these records is Anglicare Victoria.
14 January 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000089
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License