Kew Children's Cottages became known by that name from around 1929, although the Kew Asylum had housed children throughout its history.
At around 1929 , the Department of Education established the Kew Cottages Special School (State School 4431). It was the first school in Victoria for children with intellectual disabilities. The school remained in operation until the end of 1991.
In 1937, over 200 residents of the Cottages were transferred to the institution at Janefield.
In 1957 the administration of Kew Cottages was separated from that of the Kew Mental Hospital.
In 1962 the Cottages were proclaimed a 'training centre' under the provisions of the 1959 Mental Health Act (No.6605).
In 1996, nine residents died in a fire at the institution.
In 2001, the Victorian government announced its intentions to close Kew Cottages. It finally closed in 2008.
05 November 2018
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000547
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License