St Joseph's Nursery was established in 1959. It was situated in Gellibrand Street, Kew, close to the St Anthony's Home, also run by the Sisters of St Joseph.
The Nursery was initially an adjunct to St Joseph's Receiving Home (in Carlton) when this agency was undergoing renovations. It provided temporary care for children (who would previously have been housed at St Joseph's in Carlton) and accommodation for some single mothers.
St Joseph's Nursery was subsequently declared an approved children's home. It was staffed by a Sister and a mothercraft nurse, with domestic help provided by resident single mothers.
21 March 2016
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000649
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License