The Beth-el Children's Home was established in 1963. Its original location was 8 Amelia Street, Caulfield. Over its years of operation it occupied a number of different sites, including 16 Yerrin Street, Balwyn and 12 Carinda Road, Canterbury. The purchase of the property in Canterbury was part funded by the Victorian government, to ensure some stability in the Home's location.
The Home was operated by an individual (a nursing sister) under the Infant Life Protection provisions of the Children's Welfare Act 1958.
According to Jenkinson, 'changes in child care provision, oversupply of beds, and low demand in the inner-eastern region saw the home phased out in the late 1970s'. The Department ceased its funding, and did not place wards at Beth-El from 1978. However, the Home continued to operate (with private placements) until at least 1983.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
10 August 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/vic/E000655
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License