Exhibition at Geelong’s first orphanage
This Sunday, 22 April 2012, an exhibition of items from the CLAN National Orphanage Museum will be held at the site of Geelong’s first orphan asylum. The Geelong Orphan Asylum was established in 1854, in a bluestone building situated on Herne Hill. The institution remained at Herne Hill until 1934, when it moved to new premises in the Geelong suburb of Belmont. By this time, it was known as the Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage, which is a predecessor of Glastonbury Child and Family Services which continues to provide out-of-home care in the Geelong region.
The Herne Hill building is usually used as Geelong Cement Retirees Museum. This is the first time that this significant building has been used for an orphanage display. The exhibition is part of Geelong Heritage Week.
When: Sunday 22 April 2012, 10.00am to 3.00pm
Where: McCurdy Road, Herne Hill