St Anne's Home of Compassion, Broken Hill, was operated by the Daughters of our Lady of Compassion (Sisters of Compassion) from 1941 until 1984. St Anne's Home of Compassion housed girls aged two to 16 years.
St Anne's Home had been established at Broken Hill since 1898, under the management of the Sisters of Mercy.
The Daughters of Our Lady of Compassion took over St Anne's Home from the Sisters of Mercy on 11 February 1941.
At the time of the transfer 26 girls lived in the Home and their care was transferred from the Sisters of Mercy to the Daughters of Our Lady of Compassion.
St Anne's Home of Compassion charged no fees, and the upkeep and running expenses were met wholly by public donations. In the 1970s, as social changes occurred, there were fewer applications for the care of children. As numbers dwindled it was decided that the need for care of children in an institutional setting was no longer necessary. In June 1984 the Sisters withdrew from the Home and it was closed.
1898 - 1941 St Anne's Home
1941 - 1984 St Anne's Home of Compassion
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 7 March 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013