Newtown Maternity and Rescue Home opened around 1892 in King Street Newtown, before moving to an address in Wilson Street and then Brown Street, Newtown. It was a Salvation Army rescue home and maternity hospital. The Home was relocated to Lucas Road Burwood in October 1898.
As with a number of the other maternity homes operated by the Salvation Army in Sydney's inner suburbs, it is difficult to ascertain precisely when this Home opened.
1892 - 1898 Newtown Maternity and Rescue Home
1898 - 1910 Burwood Maternity Home
Sources used to compile this entry: The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 18 May 2014