Stanmore Children's Home was in Cambridge Street Stanmore and used the building that had been The Lodge Young Women's Hostel. Throughout its time as a children's home, Stanmore provided accommodation for female students. The last of the children left the home in late 1987, and were placed in family group homes at Narwee and Dulwich Hill. The Stanmore site was then converted into a continuing education facility for Salvation Army Officers.
1922 - 1948 Stanmore Girls' Industrial Home
1948 - c. 1975 The Lodge Young Women's Hostel
1975 - 1988 Stanmore Children's Home
Sources used to compile this entry: The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 30 August 2013