Blackwood was opened as part of the Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes in August 1921 at North Parramatta. Blackwood, like the other Burnside Presbyterian Orphan Homes for Children, was evacuated during World War II. Blackwood was used by the Australian Army. It was a boys' home and a cottage home until 1984. Blackwood was leased to Redeemer Baptist School in 1984 then sold to the school in 1994.
The first boys at Blackwood were from Dunkeld, another Burnside home.
Sources used to compile this entry: Blackwood [Document], Date: c. 2013; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 March 2011, Last modified: 9 January 2019