Cowley House was opened in 1946. It was formerly the Cronulla Children's Home. It was run by the Sydney City Mission. Due to a decrease in demand as the State Government became more involved in providing temporary accommodation for children in need of care, Cowley House was closed and sold off in 1976.
Cowley House was renamed in honour of Mr Octavius Cowley who had served for many years as Chairman of the Mission's Homes Committee.
1916 - 1946 Cronulla Children's Home
1946 - 1976 Cowley House
Sources used to compile this entry: Owen, June, The Heart of the City: the first 125 years of the Sydney City Mission, Kangaroo Press, 1987; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing
Created: 21 March 2011, Last modified: 18 May 2014