Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
New South Wales - Organisation

Training School for Midwifery Nurses (c. 1911 - 1976)

  • Members of the South Sydney Women's Hospital

    Members of the South Sydney Women's Hospital, 1917, courtesy of Integricare.
    Details

From
c. 1911
To
1976
Categories
Non-denominational and School

The Training School for Midwifery Nurses was part of South Sydney Women's Hospital in Gilpin Street, Newtown. It was started by Louisa Ardill. This was a highly significant institution in the history of midwifery in Sydney. It offered an outreach service to poor women and its graduates went on to work in a range of roles. It closed when South Sydney Women's Hospital closed.

Details

Location

1911 - 1976
Location - Training School for Midwifery Nurses was situated at Gilpin Street, Newtown. Location: Newtown

Run By

Related Organisations

Publications

Reports

  • Integricare History, Integricare, Burwood, 2012, 4 pp. Details

Online Resources

Photos

Members of the South Sydney Women's Hospital
Title
Members of the South Sydney Women's Hospital
Type
Image
Date
1917
Source
Integricare

Details

Sources used to compile this entry: Integricare History, Integricare, Burwood, 2012, 4 pp; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.

Prepared by: Naomi Parry