Ohio Boys' Home, located in Walcha, was operated by the Church of England (Anglican Church) from 1950. Run by a committee of management, it was a companion home to the Coventry Home, in Armidale, which was for girls. When Ohio Boys' Home closed in the mid-1960s, its boys were transferred to Coventry Home.
In 2012 Ohio is a private residence. It is one of the oldest buildings in Walcha, dating from 1836. In 1950 the then owners donated it to the Church of England, who used it for a boys' home.
In 1955, according to the ABC, three boys ran away from Walcha, and the information they provided to the authorities resulted in the conviction of the husband of the matron of Coventry and Walcha for assault. Ten men later reached a settlement with the Anglican Church over their treatment in the Home.
The last matron and 'boss' were Lesley and Edith Tuck, who had some 19 boys in their care (numbers varied during their tenure), including their own son, Peter, who lived at the Home with them. A previous manager was named Steele.
When the Home closed in the mid-1960s the children were transferred to Coventry Home. Ohio was converted to a Conference Centre for the Church of England Diocese. In 1970 the house was sold back to descendants of the original owners and restored it as a residence. Reunions have since been held at the home.
Sources used to compile this entry: Walsh, Nonee, Abuse victims angered by church confidentiality clauses, 27 October 2004, http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2004/s1228751.htm.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry & Cate O'Neill
Created: 18 April 2012, Last modified: 14 November 2019