The Country Women's Association hostel, Narrabri was opened in 1946. It was a boarding hostel for school girls. It increased the numbers at the local high school and enabled the school to be reclassified as a full high school. However, by 1958 transport in the area had improved to the extent that students felt they could live at home and travel and the hostel was closed.
Sources used to compile this entry: Townsend, Helen, Serving the country : the history of the Country Women's Association of New South Wales, Doubleday, Sydney, 1988.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 17 May 2013, Last modified: 30 August 2013