The Lodge Young Women's Hostel, was run by the Salvation Army at Cambridge Street, Stanmore. It replaced the Girls' Industrial Home that had operated on the same site. The Lodge was a hostel for girls and young women. It changed its name to Stanmore Children's Home in 1975, although it appears to have been known by that name from the late 1960s.
Young women, many of them students, continued to live at Stanmore Children's Home after the name change from The Lodge.
1922 - 1948 Stanmore Girls' Industrial Home
1948 - c. 1975 The Lodge Young Women's Hostel
1975 - 1988 Stanmore Children's Home
Sources used to compile this entry: The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 7 August 2013, Last modified: 18 September 2013