The Girls' Industrial Home at Stanmore was run by the Salvation Army at 97 Cambridge Street, Stanmore, in the same street as the Stanmore Rescue Home (1902-1928). The Girls' Industrial Home was an industrial school for girls who had been through police courts and conducted training and employment assistance. It closed in 1948 and was replaced by The Lodge Young Women's Hostel.
1922 - 1948 Stanmore Girls' Industrial Home
1948 - c. 1975 The Lodge Young Women's Hostel
1975 - 1988 Stanmore Children's Home
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Survey of Social Agencies', Australian Women's Weekly, 15 July 1933. Also available at http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/48075198; The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 7 August 2013, Last modified: 18 September 2013