St Alban's Family Group Home was opened on the 29 November 1981 in Aberdare and was run by the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle. It was previously known as St Alban's Home for Boys. The family group Home was built on the same grounds as the boy's Home but in new premises, and the matron, Dulcie Barry, became the house mother. The family group home was built to provide a family atmosphere for the children. St Alban's Family Group Home closed around 1986.
1920 - 1980 St Alban's Home for Boys
1981 - 1986? St Alban's Family Group Home
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Imaginative new plans for St. Albans', Anglican Encounter - Journal of the Diocese of Newcastle, October 1980; Email from the Project Archivist at the University of Newcastle Archives, 'RE: Diocese of Newcastle Children's Home collection for Find & Connect website' a copy of the emails are held in the Find & Connect Project project (FACP) files at the University of Melbourne eScholarship Research Centre.
Prepared by: Nicola Laurent
Created: 21 April 2015, Last modified: 19 November 2018