The Northern Territory Native Industrial Mission was established in 1899 at Karparlgoo on the South Alligator River in Western Arnhem Land. It was founded while the Northern Territory was administered by the South Australian Government and was supported by an Adelaide Church of England parish, St Luke's, Whitmore Square. Although records show definite intentions to build children's dormitories at the Mission, various difficulties forced the Mission to be abandoned in 1903.
Sources used to compile this entry: Boyce, James, For the Record: Background Information on the Work of the Anglican Church with Aboriginal Children and Directory of Anglican Agencies providing residential care to children from 1830 to 1980, Anglicare Australia, Melbourne, 2003; Freier, Rt. Rev. Philip, 'The Northern Territory Native Industrial Mission', Kaparlgoo, Northern Territory, Australia 1899 to 1903, 2006; Adventures of a Pioneer Mission Among the Aborigines in North West and North Australia: From June 1897 to June 1907, Annotated memoir of Rev AH Lennox with comments by his grandson Bill Lennox, 2013, https://web.archive.org/web/20180903042800/http://billlennox.net.nz/images/PDFpages1/ahlennoxmemoir.pdf.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 28 January 2011, Last modified: 8 May 2014