Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Northern Territory - Organisation

Arltunga Mission (1942 - 1953)

  • Catholic Mission School

    Catholic Mission School, 1947, by Duckworth, Richard, courtesy of Northern Territory Library.
    Details

From
1942
To
1953
Categories
Catholic, Home, Mission and Mission Boarding School

Arltunga Mission was established in 1942 when the Roman Catholic Little Flower Mission was relocated from Charles Creek to Arltunga, 100kms east of Alice Springs. It was run by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart and the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. A Mission School was established at Arltungu, it is unclear whether there were also Mission dormitories. In 1953, the Arltunga Mission moved to a new site 80kms south-east of Alice Springs, where it was renamed Santa Teresa Mission.

Details

Arltunga Mission was the new name given to the Roman Catholic Little Flower Mission in 1942 when it was forced to relocate from Charles Creek to Arltunga, 100kms east of Alice Springs. The arrival of the Army and the establishment of Alice Springs as an Army base due to World War II was a deciding factor in the move.

Two Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, and two Sisters from the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, along with all the Aboriginal residents of Little Flower Mission, were taken to Arltunga in Army trucks in September of 1942. Facilities at the new site were not ready for their arrival and the two Sisters and one of the Missionaries returned to Alice Springs, leaving the Aboriginal people and one Catholic Brother to work at the Mission site. Building materials were supplied by the Military in March 1943 and over the next few months a Mission School was established. It is unclear whether there were also Mission dormitories. At the Mission the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart were in charge of the boys and the girls were under the control of the Sisters from the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.

In 1953, the Arltunga Mission moved again to a new site, 80kms south-east of Alice Springs, where it was renamed Santa Teresa Mission.

Location

1942 - 1953
Location - Arltunga Mission was situated at Arltunga. Location: Arltunga

Timeline

 1935 - 1942 Little Flower Mission
       1942 - 1953 Arltunga Mission
             1953 - 1977 Santa Teresa Mission

Run By

Related Glossary Terms

Publications

Online Resources

Photos

Catholic Mission School
Title
Catholic Mission School
Type
Image
Date
1947
Creator
Duckworth, Richard
Source
Northern Territory Library

Details

Sources used to compile this entry: 'Northern Territory: Protectors /Administration / Welfare Branch reports', in To remove and protect: laws that changed Aboriginal lives, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, 2010, http://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/remove-and-protect/northern-territory; 'REAPPRAISING ASPECTS OF MISSION ACTIVITY', in Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, 24 June 2013, https://misacor.org.au/index.php/emagazine/current-news/201-reappraising-aspects-of-mission-activity; Little Flower Mission Site and Cemetery, Australian Heritage Places Inventory, https://dmzapp17p.ris.environment.gov.au/ahpi/action/search/heritage-search/record/RNE16835; Northern Territory Protectors /Administration / Welfare Branch reports 1953-55.

Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George