The Purga Mission Industrial School, run by the Salvation Army, was licensed in 1937 under the State Children Act 1911. The Industrial School was on the Purga Mission Station, established in 1915 and situated between the end of Carmichaels Road and Deebing Creek near Ipswich. State children were first admitted to the Industrial School in 1941. It closed in 1948, at which time nine State children from the Industrial School were transferred to the custody of the Director of Native Affairs and placed in homes under his Department.
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.55..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 14 June 2011, Last modified: 12 September 2014