The Rockhampton Orphanage was established in 1870. It was located at 124 Quarry Street, Rockhampton. On the passing of the Orphanages Act in 1879, the Queensland Government assumed responsibility for its operation. The name was changed to the Rockhampton Receiving Depot in 1894.
With the majority of children boarded-out, Rockhampton Orphanage was re-named the Rockhampton Receiving Depot in 1894, although the Depot continued to care for Infants and to act as a training school for girls.
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.13..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 19 July 2011, Last modified: 12 June 2014