Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Queensland - Organisation
Rockhampton Receiving Depot (1894 - 1964)
- Government-run, Home, Orphanage, Receiving Home and School
The Rockhampton Receiving Depot, in Rockhampton, was run by the State Government. Although the facility arranged for the fostering and boarding-out of children, it continued to care for infants. It also acted as a training school for girls in domestic service. It was previously known as the Rockhampton Orphanage. In 1964 its name changed to Birralee Children's Home.
- Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.13. Details
- 'Orphanage and children's home records - brief guide 28', in Queensland State Archives website, Queensland Government, 2004 - 2013, http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/CollectionsDownloads/Documents/BG28Orphanage.pdf. Details
- Centenary of care for children 1879-1979, 1979, http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/36784/20030730-0000/www.families.qld.gov.au/department/centenary_of_care/index.html. Details
- Social Work Staff, Faculty of Education, University of Queensland, Directory of Social Services Queensland, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1958, http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:241555/HV474_Q44D57_1958.pdf. Details
- Rockhampton Receiving Depot c.1913
- Annual report of the Director of the State Children Department for the year 1913
Sources used to compile this entry: Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.13..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 19 July 2011, Last modified: 12 June 2014