The Townsville Orphanage was established on 30th August 1878. The Queensland Government assumed control with the passing of the Orphanages Act 1879. In 1934, its name changed to the Townsville Receiving Depot.
Original committee members charged with administering the orphanage were Gilbert William Eliot, the Reverend William Gray, Frederick Gordon, Patrick Francis Hanran and Joseph Hughes. The only change to this committee after the passing of the Orphanages Act 1879, was the replacement of Gilbert William Elliot with Charles Shortt Dicken, who occupied the position of Police Magistrate.
A matron was given the responsibility for running the orphanage with the assistance of a housemaid and a cook.
Annie Ball was appointed Matron of Townsville Orphanage in February 1899. Jean McIntyre was Matron of the Townsville Orphanage from March 1925 to October 1928.
1878 - 1934 Townsville Orphanage
1934 - 1964 Townsville Receiving Depot
1964 - 1967 Carramar Children's Home
1967 - 1995 Carramar Receiving and Assessment Centre
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Carramar (Agency ID2493)', in Queensland State Archives website, Queensland Government, 2004 - 2013, http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/AgencyDetails.aspx?AgencyId=2493; 'Official Notifications', Brisbane Courier, 13 February 1899, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3688185; Queensland. Dept of Children's Services, Centenary of care for children, Govt Printer, [Brisbane], 1979, 32 pp.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 20 July 2011, Last modified: 19 October 2018