New Farm St Vincent's, in New Farm was operated by the Sisters of Mercy. It opened in the early 1860s and was originally situated in rented lodgings at Carirncross House and adjacent cottages at New Farm. In 1867 the children were transferred to Queens Road, Nudgee and the name changed to St Vincent's Orphanage.
In the 1860s orphaned and homeless children were living in the General Hospital in George Street, Brisbane. The Sisters of Mercy took on the care of the Catholics among these children, accommodating them in Cairncross House and rented cottages in New Farm. On 11 November 1867, the orphanage transferred from New Farm to Queens Road, Nudgee (Nudgee by the Sea).
Sources used to compile this entry: St Vincent's Home for Children: Centenary [brochure], Reflection on the First Century and the First Twenty-five years of the Second Century, Order of the Sisters of Mercy, 1992.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 17 December 2012, Last modified: 12 June 2014