The Challinor Centre, in Ipswich was previously known as the Ipswich Special Hospital. The Challinor Centre was closed in 1998, following the site's purchase by the University of Queensland for the location of its Ipswich campus. The heritage listed buildings of the former Challinor Centre were integrated into the university campus.
In the late 1960s there was a change in focus in health services in Queensland and the Ipswich Special Hospital became the Challinor Centre for the training and care of the intellectually handicapped.
Over time more residents were moved into a home environment within the community and supported by community services. Most of the intellectually disabled children were moved to villa type accommodation at the Basil Stafford Centre, Wolston Park or Toowoomba. Only a few severely disabled children remained in Charles Pavilion in 1978.
1878 - 1910 Ipswich Branch of the Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum
1910 - 1938 Ipswich Hospital for the Insane
1938 - 1964 Ipswich Mental Hospital
1964 - 1968 Ipswich Special Hospital
1968 - 1998 Challinor Centre
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Challinor Centre', in Queensland Heritage Register, Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP), 15 March 2013, https://environment.ehp.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=601821; McRobert, Elizabeth, Challinor Centre : the end of the line : a history of the institution also known as Sandy Gallop, Department of Families, Youth & Community Care, Brisbane, 1997, 198 pp; UQ Ipswich Campus Progression of an Institution, Ipswich Library Online Exhibition, http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/149288/20141112-1528/www.library.uq.edu.au/ipswich/uqihistory/index.html.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 25 August 2013, Last modified: 19 October 2015