State Government of Queensland
The Education Department was responsible for administration of preschool to secondary school education. It was established in 1957 and abolished in 2004. The Department ran the Queensland School for the Deaf from 1957-1988. The Department was replaced by the Education and the Arts Department.
With the change of name of the Secretary of Public Instruction to that of Minister of Education, the name of the Department of Public Instruction became Education Department.
The Education Department was re-named the Education and the Arts Department and amalgamated with Arts Queensland on 12 February 2004. Education Queensland and Arts Queensland each operated under a Deputy Director - General responsible to the Director - General of the Education and the Arts Department.
1876 - 1957 Public Instruction Department
1957 - 2004 Education Department
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Education Department (Agency ID 404)', in Queensland State Archives website, Queensland Government, 2004 - 2013, http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/AgencyDetails.aspx?AgencyId=404.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 1 February 2014, Last modified: 17 September 2014