The Old Doomadgee Mission, at Bayley Point, was run by the Open Brethren. It opened in 1933 and relocated to a site on the Nicholson River in 1936. Children on the Mission were housed in girls' and boys' dormitories.
By 1935 it had become clear that the site was unsuitable as a mission due to the lack of a reliable water supply and its remoteness. Following a cyclone in 1936 the Mission was moved to its present site on the Nicholson River.
Children on the Mission were placed in dormitories as shown by an early photograph of the 'Boys' house' at Old Doomadgee, dated from the early 1930s.
1933 - 1936 Old Doomadgee Mission
1936 - 1983 Doomadgee Mission
Sources used to compile this entry: Doomadgee Shire, 2014, https://web.archive.org/web/20140225001953/http://www.gulf-savannah.com.au/visiting/doomadgee-shire.html; Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and Multicultural Affairs report on unlicensed Mission dormitories for the Queensland Redress Scheme (2009).
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 4 March 2014, Last modified: 4 June 2014