Minnie Maughan Cottage opened in 1955 at Magill as the first cottage home of the Methodist Children's Homes. It provided accommodation for up to 12 children. The Cottage continued to operate after the Methodist Children's Homes changed to Lentara in 1960. When Lentara ceased to operate in 1977 Minnie Maughan Cottage remained open until around 1980.
Minnie Maughan Cottage opened in 1955 at Penfold Road, Magill, as the first cottage home at Methodist Children's Homes run by the Adelaide Central Methodist Mission. The new purpose built cottage provided accommodation for up to 12 children.
It was named after the daughter of the founder of the Maughan Church. She had also worked as Treasurer for the Home's management committee for many years.
Until the mid-1950s, although girls and boys were cared for in separate buildings at the Methodist Children's Hmes, they still slept in dormitory style rooms. The building of Minnie Maughan represented a move towards providing cottage care in 'family' groups.
Minnie Maughan Cottage continued to operate after the Methodist Children's Homes changed its name to Lentara. In the late 1970s Lentara ceased to operate and the site at Magill was subdivided and sold. Minnie Maughan Cottage, along with Roberts Cottage, continued to run for a number of years after Lentara ceased to operate. It is thought to have closed around 1980.
Sources used to compile this entry: Bailey, Ivor, Mission story: the story of the Adelaide Central Mission, 1987; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 18 February 2011, Last modified: 14 February 2014