The Babies' Hospital at St Peters was established in 1915 by the Babies' Hospital Association. It took over the role of caring for sick infants under the age of two from Quambi Nursing Home in North Adelaide. In 1917 the Hospital moved to new premises in Woodville and became known as the Mareeba Babies' Hospital.
The Babies' Hospital at St Peters was established in 1915 by the Babies' Hospital Association to care for sick infants under two years of age. Previously the sick infants were cared for at the private hospital known as Quambi Nursing Home in North Adelaide. When overcrowding became a problem at Quambi the Association leased a large property in Winchester Street, St Peters, which was formerly a Presbyterian Ladies' College. The Babies' Hospital Association had the building refitted to be a hospital for babies.
The Babies' Hospital, St Peters, was officially opened by Lady Galway on 20 January 1915. It operated for approximately two and a half years with some of the doctors on the Association providing their services to the Hospital for free.
In 1917 the Babies Hospital came under the control of the Inspector General of Hospitals. The Babies' Hospital Association continued to act in an advisory role. In August of 1917 new premises were secured and the Hospital moved to Belmore Terrace in Woodville. It then became known as the Mareeba Babies' Hospital.
1913 - 1915 Quambi Nursing Home
1915 - 1917 Babies' Hospital, St Peters
1917 - 1960 Mareeba Babies' Hospital
1960 - c. 1969 Mareeba Children's Annex of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A Deserving Cause', The Register (Adelaide, South Australia), 24 September 1915, p. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59625371; 'The Babies' Hospital - A visit to Mareeba', The Mail (Adelaide, South Australia), 25 August 1917, p. 11, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article64043227; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Gary George and Karen George
Created: 25 June 2012, Last modified: 12 January 2015