Beaufront, in Ross, between about 1949 and 1958, provided temporary accommodation to some children arriving in Tasmania under the Big Brother Movement's and Fairbridge Society's migration schemes.
According to the National Trust of Australia (Tasmania), Beaufront had been built for Arthur Smith in 1837. He sold the property to Thomas Parramore in the 1870s. By the 1940s, it belonged to Sir Donald von Bibra, a leading member of the Big Brother Movement and Fairbridge Society in Tasmania.
In the early 1950s, some boys arriving under the auspices of the Big Brother Movement stayed on the estate at Beaufront for a few days before taking up their placements on farms.
In January 1958, children sent to Tasmania to live at the Fairbridge Society's Tresca boarded on the estate at Beaufront for two weeks because accommodation at Tresca was not ready for them.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Little brothers arrive from the U.K.', The Mercury (Hobart), no. 13 March 1950, 1950, p. 18, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26687861.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 22 January 2014, Last modified: 18 October 2017