The Mersey General Hospital, run by the government, opened in 1958 at La Trobe. It was an amalgamation of the Devon Public Hospital in Latrobe and the Meercroft Hospital in Devonport. The maternity sections remained in Devonport. In 1995, the state government sold the Mersey to Health Care Australia P/L and it became the Mersey Community Hospital.
Between 1958 and 1963, when the new buildings for the maternity unit at Devonport opened, women living in the Latrobe area gave birth at the Mersey General Hospital.
1888 - 1958 Devon Public Hospital
1925 - 1958 Meercroft Hospital
1958 - 1995 Mersey General Hospital
Sources used to compile this entry: Wettenhall, RL, A Guide to Tasmanian Government Administration, Platypus Publications, Hobart, 1968, 206 pp.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 8 May 2014, Last modified: 12 June 2014