Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage was the new name given to the Geelong Protestant Orphan Asylum in 1909. There was no formal connection between the Orphanage and the church. It accommodated boys and girls, aged between 4 and 14. In 1934, the institution moved to Belmont. In 1955, the Orphanage changed its name to Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage.
In 1934 the Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage moved to Belmont as a result of industrial pollution and building disrepair at Herne Hill. The new Orphanage in Belmont was designed to accommodate 85 boys and girls.
The Education Department conducted a primary school in the home grounds; by the mid 1950s children from outside the home also attended the primary school. Secondary school aged children attended local state schools in Geelong.
The home's eighty acres were used for dairying and farming.
In 1955, the institution became an approved children's home under Victorian legislation and changed its name to Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage.
c. 1854 - 1862 Geelong Orphan Asylum
1862 - 1909 Geelong Protestant Orphan Asylum
1909 - 1955 Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage
1955 - 1977 Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage
1977 - 1984 Glastonbury Children's Home
1984 - 2011 Glastonbury Child and Family Services
2011 - 2015 Glastonbury Community Services
2015 - Barwon Child, Youth & Family
Sources used to compile this entry: Victoria Government Gazette Online Archive 1836-1997, State Library of Victoria, 2009, http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 13 February 2009, Last modified: 26 April 2016