Geelong Foster Care was established and run by the Sisters of Mercy in 1974. Geelong Foster Care operated until 1997.
In 1972 and 1973 as policy changed towards shifting to smaller, community-based facilities the Sisters of Mercy purchased six local residences to establish family group homes. By 1975 children still residing at St. Catherine's Children's Home were transferred to either family group homes or foster care.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 February 2009, Last modified: 19 February 2014