St Augustine's Boys' Home was established in 1966 in Highton, Geelong and run by the Christian Brothers. It was previously known as St Augustine's Orphanage. It closed in 1988.
St Augustine's Boys' Home was previously known as St Augustine's Orphanage.
A period of transition had begun at St Augustine's Orphanage
in 1963, with the appointment of Leo Cahill as Superior.
Cahill reluctantly left St Augustine's in 1967, when he was appointed Novice Master at the Christian Brothers Novitiate at Lower Plenty. Barnard and Twigg wrote that during his short time at St Augustine's, Cahill had managed to change the whole climate of the institution.
From 1988 St Augustine's Adolescent and Family Services was established at Whittington, a southern suburb of Geelong.
c. 1855 - 1939 St Augustine's Boys' Orphanage
1939 - 1966 St Augustine's Orphanage
1966 - 1988 St Augustine's Boys' Home
1988 - 1997 St Augustine's Adolescent and Family Services
1997 - MacKillop Family Services
Sources used to compile this entry: Barnard, Jill; Twigg, Karen, Holding on to Hope: a history of the founding agencies of MacKillop Family Services 1854-1997, Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 2004.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 10 August 2009, Last modified: 18 September 2018