The Regent House Hostel for Girls was run by the Presbyterian Church, as a 'sister' project to the Arthur Harrison Boys' Home in Hawthorn. The hostel was located in Regent Street, Elsternwick. It closed in 1977 with staff transferring to Harrison.
In October 1957, the 'Presbyterian Girls' Hostel' was declared an approved juvenile hostel under the Children's Welfare Act 1954.
The Social Welfare Department's annual report for 1968-69 stated that Regent House Girls' Hostel had converted a detached section of the property into two self-contained "bachelor" flats, which are occupied by two girls as a further preparation for complete independence in the community.
1906? - c. 1966 Presbyterian Girls' Home
1966? - 1977 Regent House Hostel for Girls
Sources used to compile this entry: Annual report: Social Welfare Department, Government Printer, Melbourne, 1961-1978. 1968-69, p.32; 1971, p.38..
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 21 April 2009, Last modified: 28 February 2019