The Lady Dugan Children's Home was established by the Social Welfare Department in 1970. It mostly housed children aged between two and five years, and their school age siblings. The Home ceased to operate in April 1976, and its residents were transferred into family group homes and other placements.
The Lady Dugan Children's Home was established when the Social Welfare Department leased a home from the Red Cross, initially for three years, to ease overcrowding at Allambie Reception Centre.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 9 July 2009, Last modified: 30 October 2018