Swan House was a children's home in the town of Traralgon, established by the Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in 1968. It provided temporary care for up to eight preschool and school age children. In 1971, Swan House relocated to a purpose-built facility in the town of Sale.
Admissions to Swan House were initially made for 3 months, with extensions to be made if the family situation had not improved. Swan House also operated as a temporary 'holding centre' for wards awaiting long term care arrangements. Children from the Latrobe Valley area thus did not have to be transferred to Allambie Reception Centre in Melbourne.
Swan House was located in rented property in Traralgon from 1968 to 1971. In 1971, a gift of land to the Children's Protection Society made it possible for Swan House to be moved to a purpose-built facility in the town of Sale. The Sale Swan House could accommodate up to 16 children.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 4 November 2010, Last modified: 13 July 2018