St Joseph's Nursery was established in 1959 and was situated in Gellibrand Street, Kew, close to the St Anthony's Home. It provided temporary accommodation for children (who would previously have been housed at St Joseph's in Carlton) and for some single mothers. The Nursery closed in 1976.
St Joseph's Nursery was established in 1959. It was situated in Gellibrand Street, Kew, close to the St Anthony's Home, also run by the Sisters of St Joseph.
The Nursery was initially an adjunct to St Joseph's Receiving Home (in Carlton) when this agency was undergoing renovations. It provided temporary care for children (who would previously have been housed at St Joseph's in Carlton) and accommodation for some single mothers.
St Joseph's Nursery was subsequently declared an approved children's home. It was staffed by a Sister and a mothercraft nurse, with domestic help provided by resident single mothers.
Sources used to compile this entry: Barnard, Jill; Twigg, Karen, Holding on to Hope: a history of the founding agencies of MacKillop Family Services 1854-1997, Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 2004; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 5 November 2010, Last modified: 6 November 2018